Wednesday 29 May 2013

Talking about the good times

Something that doesn't come naturally to me is blowing my own trumpet. A has always commented on job applications or similar that I just don't sell myself. I write the facts as simply and unobtrusively as possible, which isn't always ideal. (Not that he was ever advocating barefaced lying on CVs, just pointing out the positives rather more than I tended to.)

One of the things I have found hardest since becoming a parent is how to enjoy the good times, and talk about them with friends, without them becoming "aren't I the best parent ever and don't I have the most amazing kids on the planet?" sessions which don't sit well with me or the poor person listening to them. So I mostly try not to talk about the good times. Or to pick extremely innocuous good times. I get it wrong sometimes and have those moments of extreme discomfort when I realise the thing that I take most for granted about my kids (typically related to language development or eating habits as those have been (in the past - don't get my started on the fussy three year old currently living under my roof) the easiest and most fun part of parenting round here) are exactly the things that the person I am talking to beats themselves up over day after day and sees no end in sight to their perceived failure... But not talking about the good things isn't very good for me, or for any of us.

As I have mentioned, I now have a sort of diary where I write the best thing G did and the best thing E did every day. It is definitely a good thing and already I have pages and pages of little notes to look back on (though they don't always make sense a few weeks down the line!) but I think I (we?) need more than that. I think we need to have permission to meet up and not complain about things (though heaven knows we need to keep the permission to complain firmly in place to!). I need to say, without worrying about what it might seem like, that actually, I have had a great few days with my kids. They have driven me crazy once or twice but only within the acceptable spectrum. They have done funny things, sweet things, kind things. They have learnt things, tried things, seen new things. They have, in short, been my absolute most favourite people on the planet (sometimes there is still room in there for A!).

There. I've said it.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen, I completely understand where you are coming from, I feel the same too! So next time I see you face to face I am going to force you to tell me all about the good things. And I will celebrate with you all those things and I will not be jealous. Even though your children are awesome.

    ReplyDelete