Wednesday 4 September 2013

Breakfast Month

Breakfast month was good. The kids were a little unconvinced and largely stuck to their cereals of choice but A is very pleased with his new found love of porridge (in August. No doubt he will be sick of it before winter arrives...). We had less exciting blow out breakfasts than hoped but still found a number of nice new things so a win I would say. Except that now my health is such that I am eating rice cakes for breakfast. Yum. With a glass of water. Goody.

Anyway, A felt we needed to go a bit silly this month. September's theme is...titled food! To which I said  "eh?" (And I am not quite sure I get it yet but I will try to explain...)

To "score points" this month, I must make a dish with a name. But the name can't be "sticky chicken" or "roast dinner" as they are simply descriptive. Beef Wellington would count. Spaghetti Bolognese would get half marks (as would any other regionally named dish.)

So far I have scored points with "leftovers" (I thought this would be too descriptive but it seemed to tickle A) and last night's self-named Thai-nese Tickle (griddled trout with Thai sticky rice and stir fried ribbon veg, the ribbony bit being the tickle in my mind...). I need to do some research and look in some different cookbooks as most of the recipes I use tend to have very descriptive names.

(By the way, I am aware I have mentioned strict budget month to quite a few people. We have ultimately decided not to do that as a challenge month but just as something ongoing. I may or may not blog about our findings. But this week I am doing food shopping on a budget that has been chopped by a third. So far, so simple, but the weekend will tell what it is really like.)

6 comments:

  1. Amazing! Love this idea...and my mouth is watering at the very mention of Thai-nese Tickle. Surely you can just do your usual recipes and give them different names? Or does that not count?

    And you mention points...is there an ongoing 2013 tally? If so, do 'points mean prizes'? Is Andy going to justly reward you at the end of the year with an enviable prize according to your score?

    10 points: travel alarm clock
    20 points: his and hers bathrobes
    30 points: Sony walkman
    40 points: state-of-the-art Moulinex food blender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am definitely doing a bit of the whole usual recipes, new names thing... we had Mummy's Signature Dish for tea the other night...

      And points, well, I have suggested that I might need some kind of 2013 gift based on my success! There was lengthy discussion between A and my cousin-in-law and her cousin as to what counted for points and that maybe 10000 points would get me a trip to Australia. Then A realised that if he carried on at the approximate rate of dishing out points he had done so far, we would be about 65 before the promised trip. I might have lost interest by then...! Love the prizes list!

      Delete
  2. PS An aside...part of the problem I have when trying to comment on your blog posts - not today but usually - is that, although I'm definitely not a robot, I can never read the damn words I'm meant to identify in order to have my comment published! Argh!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just belatedly catching up on your blog posts... what a lovely way to spend an evening! I love this titled food idea! I'm with Lucy in suggesting another way round it, something I frequently do, which is to use recipes your friends have given you and then append the person's name to the main food item involved, so a chicken-based recipe supplied by Bob would be Chicken Bob. Who knows if it'll wash with A though! Hugs x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bless you! Love Chicken Bob. May actually just have to make up a recipe so I can call it Chicken Bob now! Though I think if it was a chicken dish and had been given to me by Bob, A would be highly unimpressed!

      Delete